Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Good News, Not-So-Bad News

I have posted before about some of the "complications" that I've been having with this pregnancy. Aside from just the sundry aches and pains of being 6 months pregnant, I have also been experiencing contractions from a very early date. At first, it was not a big concern. However, in the last few weeks the contractions have become more frequent and much more difficult. They also seem to get worse with any kind of physical activity. Things came to a bit of a head last night as I had contraction after contraction--some of them Braxton Hicks--but many of them were very painful and gripped my whole body. They were much like the contractions that I had at the beginning of labor with Jack. When they kept me awake last night through the night that was pretty much the last straw. I called the doctor this morning and went in this afternoon.

I was really quite worried that all this might be summed up by saying that every pregnancy is different, I'm OLDER, and hello, this is motherhood. In my heart I feel that there is something more going on here, but I was willing to hear that I just needed to "suck it up" and keep going. I was very relieved when my doctor took all my symptoms very seriously and sympathetically. He was very adamant that "we" NOT have this baby right now! He said that I was at a very critical stage in my pregnancy, and that I needed to be very cautious. He told me about a new test that measures an enzyme that is only present in a woman who is going to give birth in the next two weeks. Wow! That will really narrow things down a bit, won't it? So, the GOOD NEWS is that I am not dialated at all, and the test came out negative, so I am "safe" for the next two weeks. The not-so-bad news is that even though I don't have to go on bed rest, I do need to be more careful and decrease my activity level even further. Tell that to my two-year-old!!! Unfortunately, it also means decreasing some of my extra-curricular activities as well--like ladies' ensemble and choir. I was already very sad to give up worship team, and this will be even harder. I LOVE singing. I LOVE choir. It will be very hard to sit on the sidelines, but I LOVE Grace more, so I'll do it with a good attitude.

So, that is the news for now, and I would appreciate your prayers for the coming months. My counter tells me I have less than 100 days left!

Now, with all this decreased activity, here is the conundrum...it's 9:00 p.m., I've already taken Jack UP the stairs to go to bed, and I am now sitting DOWNSTAIRS on the couch (watching AI). Jeff is out in the shop, and I hear footsteps running around upstairs in Jack's room. Thankfully, his door is locked and he can't get out and roam around the house.....do I get up or just let him play in his room until Daddy comes in from the shop (keeping in mind that it could be HOURS)????

3 comments:

Leanne said...

I am so glad you are "safe" for now! Let Jack play...at this point, I think your health and Grace's health are much more important than discipline... If Jack is safe in his room, let it go.....
In fact, I would make it so you could send Jack to his room and the room will be relatively easy to pick up afterwards. Then make JACK do it...not you. We are "mean" parents...after weeks of not putting away our toys when asked...they "disappeared"...interestingly enough, no one has asked for them....hmmm....
I will be praying for you.
I love Dr. Wickert

Molly said...

Wow, that is a cool test! I'm glad it came back negative! I will be praying for you. I agree with what Leanne said about Jack and his room...he is big enough to be a helper and you don't need to add stressful discipline situations (that can be avoided while still teaching him) to your health issues right now. Leanne, we are on a purging of the toys kick, too! They have taken over our house...but no more!!! Waaahaaahaaa (evil laughter in the background!) :) We have already warned them it was coming. We'll see how it goes. Take care, Betty! I look forward to meeting Jack and Little Grace when we are home on furlough this year!

Unknown said...

Awww, well, my advice is you get walkie talkies & radio in Jeff the Hero!!!

And, I needed to hear your "I love _____ & ______, but I love Grace more" speech. Very much indeed. I've been selfish in ways lately, & I needed a smack!

I'll be praying you can REST, Betty.