Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Color Pink

It was April 1, 2005. We needed to have a tire checked on the car, so Jeff sent me to town (Delphi) to get the deed done. I decided to sit in the car while they checked it, and during the inspection, I fell asleep. REALLY asleep. I was so asleep that I didn't even know that they had jacked up the car, changed the tire, and let me back down, until the attendant knocked on my car window to wake me up! I thought to myself, "What is wrong with me?" A little niggling thought entered my mind at that moment, but after my past experiences I quickly dismissed the thought that I could be pregnant. It just couldn't happen THAT fast. However, I am very "in tune" with my body, and I knew that it could be possible.....nah, I was just being paranoid. Jeff came home from work, and our friend Lee came over to watch a movie. For some odd reason I got up during the movie and went to the bathroom where I knew there was a pregnancy test (I used to stockpile those things). I took it. I didn't have to wait 3 minutes. A pink line that I had never before seen on ANY test that I'd taken immediately came into view. I stared at it. I giggled nervously. I kept staring at it, as if somehow the pink line would disappear as fast as it had appeared. But it only got pinker.

I went back downstairs and curled back up on the couch. I had to wait for the movie to be over and for Lee to go home before I could tell Jeff. And I needed the time to really process the realization that had just been confirmed--I was just about to turn 35--and I was finally pregnant. When we were alone, I showed Jeff the test. He stared at it. He giggled nervously and said, "Is this an April Fool's joke?" Ha! I'd forgotten what day it was! I assured him that it was not a joke. I watched his face as the truth dawned on him and he smiled the biggest smile I have ever seen! Then I watched him strut around the room with his chest out declaring that, oh yeah, he WAS the man..........oh my word. It was very funny and had I known he would react that way I would love to have filmed him.

And that's how we found out about our little girl, Gracie.........

No comments: