Sunday, December 04, 2005

Jack-Jack Attacks

He looks so peaceful, eh? Don't be fooled. That angelic, sleeping body turns into a screaming, kicking, non-sleeping fiend at night. Does it matter? Do I love him less? Do I think him any less perfect? Not at all. I just sit bleary-eyed like a fool, loving his purple face, giggling a little when he cries so hard that he makes no sound. He's mine, and I love him. And besides, what do you expect when you name a baby after a superhero who spontaneously combusts when provoked?

For the last few nights Jack has kept both Jeff and I awake all night with his wailing. We can't figure it out...he sleeps fine during the day. He will sleep for 4 hours without waking up. I have to wake him up just to feed him, and then he goes back to sleep. I've tried everything to keep him awake during the day.....wet washclothes on his face, stripping him down to his diaper, tickling his feet, even running his feet under cold water....all to no avail. But at about 11:00 p.m. something happens and he is inconsolable. Is this colic? Gas? I've tried the gas drops. They seem to help for a little while. Consequently, Jeff and I have been walking around as dead people during the day. Let me tell you, the lack of sleep does nothing to help with the already billowing, emotional hormone roller coaster. Today we tried to take some evasive action. He goes to sleep again about 6:00 a.m., so I went to sleep with him. He woke up and ate around 9:30 a.m. and then we both went to sleep until almost 1:00 p.m. Jeff worked all day on a friends' porch, and when he came home we ate dinner and then he took Jack while I went upstairs and took another 2 1/2 hour nap. Then at 11:00 p.m. he came to bed and I took Jack downstairs to the living room. He's sleeping fitfully in his little boppy chair, but so far no crying. It just seems to be when we try to lay him down in his bed and go to sleep ourselves that the crying starts. So here I am, at 1:56 a.m. writing in my blog, and not feeling too bad because of my naps, hoping that daddy is getting some good sleep. I have the Christmas music on, and so far Jack's favorite CD is of Titus Curtis "Sunday Afternoon Christmas". I think he likes the guitar music. Whatever makes him happy makes me happy. Any suggestions, moms? Feel free to add your comments, encouragements, "I told you so's", etc., below. I'll be up with nothing else to do!

No comments: