Monday, April 24, 2006

In The Battle

I think I've created a monster. Remember how I said that Jack was just loving eating cereal from a spoon and drinking from a cup? Well, yesterday it was cute, but today it is downright ugly. I have only been nursing Jack in the middle of the night, so last night when he woke up at 1:00 a.m. I nursed him and put him back in bed. That was the last time that he ate. That was 10 hours ago. He refuses to take his bottle. He has done everything from laughing and giggling with it in his mouth to throwing a crying fit and gagging on it. I was concerned that he might be unwell, or that some reasonable problem was causing him to not want his bottle. But in every other way he is FINE. He is laughing, playing, watching his aquarium toy, peeing, burping....everything normal....except eating. I can only conclude that he doesn't want to and so he is exerting an unbelievable amount of will (where the heck did he get that from?). At this point I have put him in his bed to "cry it out". My plan is to continue to offer him the bottle every half hour until he takes it. I'm not going to give him spoon-fed cereal. I think that he would eat that, but he needs to drink his bottle. There is nothing nourishing about just eating cereal from a spoon. I have also definitely concluded that last night was the last night of nursing. And it may be the last night of eating in the middle of the night. Obviously, he is able to go for LONG periods of time without eating, so it is ridiculous for me to be getting up (sometimes) twice in the middle of the night. So, please pray for me today, and pray that Jack makes a good choice, and if you have any suggestions, PLEASE give them to me! I know that there are mothers out there right now reading this blog. You know who you are and so do I. Please weigh in. If you don't want to post, then email me or call me! I'll update you all later on in the day!

No comments: