Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Beginning of Something Good

This morning my dear mother-in-law came over and helped me can tomatoes. Well, I guess she did most of it and I watched while managing Jack and answering the phone. I think I could probably do it all on my own now, but I have to tell you, there is just something so special about having the mother of the love of your life come over and help you store up some of his favorite goodies. Last year I had this measly little tomato plant that I paid $20 for (it was a patio tomato), and it only produced 5-6 tomatoes. Every time I fed one to Jeff he would teasingly say, "how much is this one worth, honey, five dollars"? I am happy that this year my tomatoes have produced much more than 5-6 and that I now have my first batch of 5 full quarts! What's even better is that there are so many more green ones still yet to turn, and I've already eaten about 10, all sliced up and fried to a dark golden brown in olive oil! Yum. Now that we've finally figured out what we're doing, we're planning a much larger, more complicated garden for next year.

For now, I am really enjoying the time spent at Grandma Poo's elbow, learning not just about how to can tomatoes, but things about my husband and his family that only come out when you are working together. For instance, Sharon told me that Jeff learned multiplication by her rows and rows of canned goods. He would ask, "how many are there" and she would answer that he could count each one or he could multiply one row by another and come up with the same answer. Folks, little things like this is why my husband is the genius that he is. He had a mother who used ordinary things to teach him life-time skills. At any rate, we had a great time and the tomatoes look sooooo pretty!

2 comments:

Leanne said...

What a neat post... I have also canned 6 quarts of tomatoes! We have also eaten A LOT! I still like them despite pregnancy... carrots are another story! Its great to have a mom-in-law who feels like a mom; its a rare gift!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!!!!!