Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sugar

Well, I drank all the juice (all 120 oz. of it), and I fasted for 12 hours, and I drank the icky orange gunk, and I got my blood drawn 5 times (I will NOT be wearing a short-sleeved dress for Easter). I knew that they would have to send the blood away to a lab, thereby making the results not known until Monday, so I took along Jeff's glucometer and poked myself and tested my own blood each time they did. According to his machine, I did NOT pass 2 of the 3 blood draws needed to pass the test. My doctor was glad that I had brought the glucometer and was pretty satisfied with those results, although it will be confirmed on Monday. So, it would appear, that another hurdle has been thrown into this pregnancy lane, and I will complete my pregnancy with Gestational Diabetes. While this is unexpected and, well, let's face it, unwelcome, I am thankful that God has already prepared me for this possibility. Because of Jeff's diabetes, I am not in the dark as to what I need to do, and the thought of testing my own blood doesn't scare me (although I do have Jack actually push the little button on the lancet because for some reason I balk every time). All I really need to know now is how many carbs I can have for each meal, and how many snacks I can have. If I keep my regular sugars down to normal amounts with my diet, I shouldn't have to have any shots or medication. That is a HUGE blessing. We are unsure if this is a recent development, or if it will get worse as time progresses, but all of that is in the Lord's hands. At this point in the game, I am just ready to take my hands off the wheel and allow God to drive. He obviously has a plan for all of this, and while it makes me uncomfortable, I am happy to just ride it out and see it through to the end. I've been blessed to be able to hold two precious little babies in the last week or so, and each one has given me strength to see it through. I'd appreciate your prayers, though, for me to be able to eat the way I should and manage my levels, and for the diabetes to not get worse.

The kids are coming tomorrow and we are so excited we can hardly stand it. God gives us GOOD GIFTS, just when we need them.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I will definitely be praying for you, Betty! Enjoy your time with the kids. Happy Easter!

Troy & Sherry said...

i will be praying for you friend!
i can't even imagine how NOT FUN this will be....we are almost there :)

Unknown said...

What an encouragement your attitude is to me! I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Leanne said...

Thank you for watching Michael while we were at the office! I'm still not feeling all that well,but I know there is plan in it for me.... hmmm...maybe how to get more rest??
Take care of yourself!
Love,
Leanne