Monday, March 12, 2007

Runaway Jack

A couple of days ago I was watching a TV program while Jack was playing. We were on the middle floor, the one that is pretty much totally baby proofed (give or take some items accidentally left on the table within reach), so I wasn't watching him very closely. I could hear him walking around and jibber-jabbering, and my program was quite interesting, so I let him go for several minutes before I really turned my attention to him. He was quiet and I thought, "ok, I should probably check", but then he started jabbering, very excitedly, again, so I went back to watching (I know, I'm terrible). Another several minutes passed and my show went to commercial so I decided I better go find out what was going on. I got up off the couch and came toward the foyer, when to my horror I realized that the front door was open, and that Jack was OUTSIDE. All three cats were surrounding him, as if to herd him on to the porch, and Callie was meowing loudly (she's the mommy). Jack was SO pleased with himself! I don't know how he made it down the wooden step, but for some reason the cement steps down to the drive intimidated him and he stayed on the porch. He was talking his head off to those cats, I think in an effort to psyche himself up to go down those steps!

Needless to say, we are now keeping the front door locked. This morning it was left unlocked by accident, and he actually opened the door right in front of me. Once again, the cats were in attendance. It's nice to know that they are looking after him, even when his mommy isn't!

4 comments:

Burman Batch said...

I love this story & how the cats were there. It sounds like your cats are great & they really love Jack. I am glad that Jack is safe! We have all done something like that!!

Anonymous said...

I love how the cats are his babysitters...that is hilarious!

Sunnycal said...

Okay, I'm slow on the uptake... CONGRATULATIONS on the new one on it's way!!! That's amazing!

Dana said...

That was a close call! I bet your heart feel in your stomach at first when you didn't know where he was....those little guys can be sneaky! Good thing you don't live close to a busy street too!