Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Seasons

A friend of mine once told me, in reference to a child-rearing situation, this is just my "season" of life right now. I thought at the time that I understood what she meant, was sympathetic, and gave pretty good support. Now I'm wondering. I find myself in a "season" of life. It's called colic combined with acid reflux and tracheo malasia. Jack has progressed (or regressed, depending on how you look at it) from crying a couple hours a day to crying for most of the day, unless he is sleeping. He does have small periods of time when he is awake and not crying, mostly in the morning when he first wakes up. During those times he is smiling and happy, cooing and looking into my eyes. I keep that smile in my mind for the hours ahead. I know that he is not doing any of it on purpose, and so I try to be patient and realize that his crying really isn't any fun for him either.

For now, I realize that my greatest priority is just making it through the day being cheerful and thankful for where I am at. It is still my greatest dream come true, just a little louder than I had imagined! The gym will have to wait, my son is more important than my figure. Lunches out with friends that I haven't seen in weeks will also have to wait, although I beg those friends to keep praying for me as I minister to my child. This is my season, staying at home with my colicky baby, loving him and making him and his daddy my highest priority. It's not a hard choice--I am the luckiest woman alive--it's just hard to put to death those selfish feelings of me, me, me. But I can do "all things through Christ, who strengthens me".



This is Jack, in his car seat, on top of the dryer (while is was running). He actually took about an hour's nap on the dryer yesterday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it!