Thursday, January 05, 2006

Soooooo Big!

Several significant things have happened in the last couple of days. The night before last Jack slept from 1:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. When I realized what time it was in the morning, I jerked out of bed and lurched over the crib to see if my newborn were indeed still alive. And he was! He was just waking up, and very hungry! We thought maybe it was a fluke, but last night he slept from 12:00 a.m. until 5:30 a.m. I think that this could be called "sleeping through the night"! (Choir in the background singing "Hallelujah!") We're going to try it again tonight, and if it works, we're going to try it every other night after that until he goes to college!

Jack also had his 6 week checkup today. Dr. Woodman said that he was doing beautifully. She was very impressed with his ability to smile at us and to look directly in our eyes and follow movement with his eyes. She was also impressed with his weight gain. Just to recap, Jack weighed 6 lbs, 12 oz. when he was born. Three days after he was born he had gone down to 6 lbs, 8 oz. Two weeks after he was born he weight 7 lbs, 8 oz. Today he weighed in at a whopping 10 lbs, 4 oz.!!!!!!!! Wow. No wonder my back hurts!

It turns out that I have a kidney/bladder infection. We suspected as much, but it was confirmed on Tuesday and I started meds that afternoon. So far the only affect on little Jack is that it has turned his poop green. Green.....yellow.......ah, what's the difference? It hasn't affected its quantity OR frequency!

As I look back over the last 6 weeks I am so thankful for a healthy baby boy, a wonderful daddy to share him with, and lots and lots more fun in the weeks to come!

No comments: